Many Happy Returns

Each year when I get birthday wishes and someone wishes me "many happy returns" - it confuses me.
I just never quite get the meaning of it.
It's time I find out what it means!

According to Wikipedia:
"The term itself refers to the passing year. Since the 18th century this has been used as a salutation to offer the hope that a happy day being marked would recur many more times. It is now primarily used on birthdays; prior to the mid 19th century it was used more generally, at any celebratory or festive event."

An article in the Sydney Morning Herald posted on 27th August 2005; i.e. Why do you wish a person 'many happy returns of the day' on their birthday? had a few people sending in their different interpretation of it.

I think I agree with Amber Jones - "You are wishing them that their birthday will "return" again - many times i.e. that they will have a long life."

What about you?

No Response to "Many Happy Returns"

Post a Comment