Meet Bill Granger

It's funny. I have never heard of Bill Granger, the Australian celebrity chef, - and suddenly he's everywhere... :)

My membership with Doubleday (it was the temptation of awesome cookbooks at really great price that sucks me in!) was recently due for renewal and I was still owing 3 books purchase to complete my member commitment. After a few weeks of browsing the books selection - I finally settle on the purchase of Bill Granger cookbook, "Every Day" along with couple book gifts for others.

I got the cookbook on Thursday and I've been flicking through them every night. The cookbook is extremely well written and put together and the recipes were extremely appealing. They are simple, easy yet interesting. The book offers a great mix of recipes for various cuisines, which reflects what Australia offers when it comes to food (especially Melbourne!) The best thing about it is that as I was browsing through it - I couldn't help but feel that I would happily try every single one of the recipes. It doesn't seem like it would be too much hassle. :)

Just a matter of deciding which one to start with! Probably Spaghetti Marinara, or perhaps Chili Bean Burrito with Corn Salsa, or Chocolate Hazelnut Ricotta Cake with Cinnamon Poached Figs, or Baked Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta, or Sweet Potato Fries, or Cherry Tomatoes and Cannellini Beans, or Caramel Salmon with Rice, or Fragrant Chicken and Spinach Curry, or Spaghetti with Garlic and Chilli... and the list goes on and on.

When I said he's suddenly everywhere, I wasn't exactly lying. True - I was probably looking for him in some ways. I was browsing for his books and wondering if they are as good as this one that I just got. But - the MindFood magazine (check this magazine out if you haven't - it's pretty packed with good stuffs!) that I bought back in September (October 09 Issue) featured him too in an article titled "In Japan with Bill Granger". See! He is everywhere! :P

From his notes on the recipe book, and from the article, he sounds interesting and smart. He recently opened Bills, his first International restaurant in Shichirigahama, Japan. Respect! :) I like these 3 things that was quoted off him in the article.
"Japanese people really respond to the simplicity and the colours of the dishes: smoked salmon and organic eggs reflect a glowing sunset; there's the green of the ocean in fresh spinach; even toasted sourdough bread adds and important element of colour and texture."
Wow - He learned and worked on understanding the target customer! :)
"It's amazing - when we trained the Japanese crew here, you show them something once or twice and suddenly they're doing it better than you!"
Tee hee hee... ;)
"Then when Shichirigahama came up, and it was on the beach, I knew it was what I wanted to say about food - that it's about lifestyle. Bills is about relaxing, and with the surf shop downstairs I feel like I'm in Sydney."
Hmmm.. I like! ^.^

I'll definitely make a point to visit his restaurant the next time I'm in Sydney. (Don't think it would be anytime soon though with all the holiday plans already lined up...). And I'm highly considering getting his new book "Feed Me Now", which is pretty cheap at Doubleday. The only roadblock is that my cookbook shelf is already fully packed... Hmmm.... :) Perhaps I should sell the others that I haven't been using!

Anyway - I'm very glad to have met Bill (albeit only through his book)! :)
I promise to blog on my first go on his recipe!

If you want to know more about Bill Granger, read through this post, Not Quite Nigella: Bill Granger Interview. :)

No Response to "Meet Bill Granger"

Post a Comment